Shabby Template

Thursday, March 24, 2011

A trip to temptation island...

Giving up sweets for 40 days has proven challenging already. For some, it's a piece of cake (no pun intended), but for others like me, it's a daily struggle. Candy, desserts and anything comprised of butter, sugar and eggs have always been a daily staple in my life.


 
Honest to goodness, my first word as an infant was Da Da, and my second was chocolate (I kid you not). I get it from my Mom what can I say? She's the same way. When I go home to visit, she always has a cake or something sweet waiting for me. We tell ourselves that "we're only going to have a bite," but when that cake becomes your breakfast (hey...I said eggs right?), after lunch snack and bedtime nightcap, you know you have an addiction. That's one reason I wanted to give them up because I knew it was getting a little out of hand...well...give them up for 40 days (there is nooooooooo guarantee after that).


It's funny, I've been off sweets for two weeks and the longer I stay away, the more apparent they become in my daily existence. For example, I went to Fresh Market the other day to pick up a few things and instead spent the trip gazing at the candy bar in the middle of the store. I literally circled the island of tooth decay five or six times. 

A store worker came up to me twice asking if I needed some help finding something, but all I wanted to do was look. Look with a possible drool as I read each label so carefully (chocolate covered almonds, chocolate covered malt balls, chocolate covered peanut butter balls, the list goes on and on...) remembering what little I could of their taste. I admired the little gems as long as I could without breaking down, reaching my hand into that jar and stuffing my face just like a kid playing Chubby Bunny.

                                                               
I am hoping simple trips to the grocery store will get easier as time progresses, but for now, it's just a trip to temptation island.

No comments:

Post a Comment